Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sweet Nothingness of Life


Last Sunday, when I visited home, my father and one of his old friend were happy and content with the life they have led. I always believe, we should be seeking contentment and not happiness, happiness is one of the emotion that we feel from a range of emotions across different stages and periods of our life. If you run after happiness, you will never get it; in fact, it will keep running away from you. Happiness or being happy lies in the moment. Thinking ahead, will I able to achieve the same level of gratification from my life when I grow old like my father. I am doubtful. Our lifestyle gives us barely the time for ourselves. Boss, office, clients, colleagues and if something is left, cellphone eats that time and a little time for that special person (girlfriend, wife, whosoever).


Coming back, our parents don’t approve of the express life their children are leading. But then they can only complain? As my father says, “I always tried to teach you good values and the education you wanted. Now it’s your choice, how you make the best use of them?” I am extremely thankful to my father for all the beautiful things and experiences (even distasteful experiences were necessary (like to know the sweetness, we must understand bitter first) for the process of growing up). Majorly, he didn’t force me to become doctor. Like living in a Govt. colony amongst doctors, every person is obsessed with their children becoming doctors. At the same time, I’d say, my father may not feel proud for his son, especially for the fact when I have broken almost all the values that he had taught. Somehow or the other, I have always landed up in the soup of things and experienced all the legal, not so legal and illegal things in my life, which any sane person may not testify.


No I don’t want to thank my mum or my dad. We cannot thank our parents, which is too selfish from our end. Instead we should nurture our relationship further with our parents by caring and try to love them back as much as they did when we were tiny tots.

2 comments:

  1. :) parents are lovely!!!

    and don't worry you will also be good parent chill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece has made me rethink the relationship I share with my dad, even though I often express my gratefulness for all he has given me, I seldom express my love for him.
    Simply yet beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete