Thursday, March 18, 2010

I am living my dream



How many of us get to say, “I am living my dream” in our lifetime. Sachin Tendulkar quoted in one of his recent numerous press meets, after hitting the score of 200 in an ODI. This IPL season is further adding to his already impeccable and unachievable records. There are hardly any records left in international Cricket which he has not scaled, when it comes to batting. Nobody talks about his 150 odd wickets, which are not a mean achievement. There are hardly any bowlers in our current Indian cricket team with 150 wickets under their cap (may be Bhajji or Zaheer).

“I wanted to play cricket whole-heartedly for the country. I am living my dream and have played with two-three generations. I wanted to be a special member of the team and I have done it,” Sachin.


Its no mean achievement to scale the heights which Tendulkar has reached. ICC has announced World Cricket Day as the day when Sachin Tendulkar was born. This is one thing, I wish to achieve in my lifetime, some road, gully, nukkad, street, award to be named after my name. I hope, I wish, I am able to. Every road, street, gully, nukkad, nullah is named after some person or perhaps the characteristic of the place. But most of them are named after the dead, Sachin has achieved it, when he is alive and kicking.

Now he is waiting for his triple century in Test cricket or perhaps may hit 100 in 20-20 even, looking at his current form. The best part of Sachin and the irony of his profession, as you grow old, gain experience, you ability to deliver starts declining after a particular stage. But he is perpetually in growth stage. A decade in International cricket means you have lived your lifetime. But this man, he has already crossed two.

In the past two months, he has been compared to every possible conceivable cricketing great or legend in the world history. But comparisons are frivolous, every era has its own heroes with its own style and achievements. Earlier they were fiery bowlers like Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose, who were always looking for prey. Now, cricket is more of a batsman’s game with little meat for bowlers. No harm to Sachin, Sachin would have been exceptional under other circumstances too.

Every other person, appealed in the press for Bharat Ratna Award for Sachin Tendulkar. Whether he gets the award
or not, he is truly the Bharat Ratna. But most of all, a man who is living his dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment